Don’t miss a totally grooving rhythm section with rhythmic stylings of Stan Godfriaux on piano, Jim Groovy Huwe on drums and Laurie Lang on bass top if off with the Breaker like Ken Hoffman on tenor sax. Hoping to see the Sun Prairie and MHS Ellington students and others wanting “in” on a great session.
On March 13 6:30-9pm at Common Ground Middleton- Jam host will be Professor Dan Wallach – sax, and his quartet: Steve Banik -keys, Lucas Koehler -bass, Matt Allen – drums
Looking for all players but encouraging Sun Prairie and Middleton HS Essentially Ellington players to come and jam. Also bring your family and friends to support you!
here are a few photos from the last session.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Middleton High School and Sun Prairie HS top jazz bands are heading to NYC being 2 of 15 bands chosen in the US to compete in the Essentially Ellington Finals at Carnegie Hall.
Please join us as we accompany these fine young players and other community members developing their “improv chops”
All songs from the real book, any 12 bar blues– let’s have some fun music time together!
This week we have a great houseband with Tony Barba on sax, Matt Endres on drums, Vince Jesse on guitar and Laurie Lang on bass– come and join in the music making, bring your instrument and the tune(s) you are working on. There is a sign up sheet — bring your family and friends to listen. A keyboard will be provided for piano players.
BE A DETECTIVE AND DECODE THE TUNE
- What’s the melody?
- Learn the melody on your instrument
- Write scale tone numbers over the melody notes (Do – Ti = 1-7)
- Learn to sing it with the numbers
- Spell out the chords
- Yeah …write out every note of every chord
- play the arpeggios, play around with the notes of the chords
- Look at the common tones from one chord to the next
- Start on a chord tone and make “whole-note guide tone string through the whole song” Notice common notes and small steps from one chord to the next
- What key is the tune in? does it move into different keys in some places? Look for ii – V – I movement
- What scales work over the whole tune or sections of the tune?
- Write that on your music and practice those.
- Identify Riffs in the melody that you like
- Play the riff several times, each time changing it just a little bit
- Transpose those riffs starting on different scale notes. Practice this.
THINK IN BIGGER BRUSH STROKES
- Decide if it’s happy/sad, fast/slow, mellow/epic
- Where do you start and how will you end? Come out: strong or start off: cool
- LISTEN: then follow the stream, ride the wave, be brave, play WITH the band
- Space vs busy—do you want dialog? or monolog?
In Madison these are friendly weekly and bi-monthly events
OMJ Jam follow on FB https://www.facebook.com/OMJJam/,
wordpressBlog : https://improvmusicworkshop.wordpress.com
also check out:
Madison Jazz Jam http://madisonjazzjam.org/ and Café Coda’s Saturday morning: Youth Jazz Expo https://www.facebook.com/events/2212127555773061
Join us for a great night with Memorial HS jazz band director and jazz musician, Tony Barba – saxophone Tony’s website Vince Jesse – guitar Vince’s Bass shop , Laurie Lang – bassist and jazz educator Laurie’s website and Chris Sandoval – touring drummer and teacher Chris’ web bio
Bring your instrument and your favorite tune to join in the music. Bring your friends and family to hang out and listen. Common Ground Middleton website
Houseband will feature: Sally de Broux – on the big tone, Sarah Vaughan vocals, Cliff Frederiksen – (George Benson-like) guitar/vocal, Laurie Lang – bass and Chris Sandoval – drums
We will warm up the stage will some blues and some extended vamps to solo over, then invite others to join us. There is always a sign up sheet, bring your favorite tune and your instrument, we’ll make some fun music.
Common Ground serves good family food and drink and you can even get a beer and nice fries. No Cover.