Jazz Ahead: Madison Showcase and Workshop
June 21, 2013
“Betty Carter’s Jazz Ahead” is the KennedyCenter’s prestigious international jazz residency, performance and composition program that brings together outstanding, emerging jazz artist-composers in their mid-teens to age 25 for tutelage by an outstanding faculty of jazz artist-educators who coach and counsel them, helping to polish their performance, composing, and arranging skills. Carmen Lundy, the headline performer at this year’s Isthmus Jazz Festival, has served as a “Jazz Ahead” faculty member for many years. As part of her upcoming visit to Madison, she will distill the “Jazz Ahead” model into a half-day workshop for a group of emerging jazz musicians of all ages.
About the Program Leader
Carmen Lundy is a world-class jazz vocalist. Her expertise goes beyond her jazz and operatic vocal techniques, as she is also an esteemed composer, arranger, and multi-instrumentalist. Ms. Lundy has managed the near-impossible feat of maintaining a 30+ year career with mostly self-penned material. She has recorded 12 CDs as a leader, and has performed and recorded with jazz luminaries like Ray Barretto, Kenny Barron, Mulgrew Miller, Terri Lyne Carrington, Bobby Watson, Roy Hargrove, Jimmy Cobb, Ron Carter, Marian McPartland, Regina Carter, Steve Turre, Geri Allen, Robert Glasper and the late Kenny Kirkland. For more about Carmen Lundy, visit www.carmenlundy.com/?page=about and view videos of her in performance at www.carmenlundy.com/videos.
- Phase I: The Showcase (Noon – 2 PM). In the showcase, each soloist or group will perform one of three pre-selected compositions by Ms. Lundy, using their own approach and arrangement. Participants will prepare by studying and rehearsing their chosen Lundy composition prior to the program day, with charts and mp3 files provided in advance by Madison Music Collective. Each soloist or group will receive encouragement, constructive and instructive feedback from Ms. Lundy and her pianist, Anthony Wonsey. The Showcase will be conducted before an audience of outside observers, i.e., anyone who would enjoy and benefit from observing such a special clinic.
- Phase 2: The Creative Workshop (2:00 – 4:00 PM). The workshop will be an exploratory time directed by Ms. Lundy and Mr. Wonsey, in which participants will experiment using the 3 prepared Lundy compositions. All participants will be ready to play or listen during this session. Lundy and Wonsey will call forth various combinations of instruments/vocalists to play with style, mood, sound, arrangement ideas, color, and wherever else the spirit takes them. It will be a time musical investigation into new territories of creativity.
When and Where
- Friday, June 21, 2013, Noon – 4:00 PM, OvertureCenter for the Arts, Rotunda Stage (lower level)
- $25 per person, payable in advance
- Scholarships are available
Madison Music Collective, PO Box 2096, Madison, WI53701-2096
Participant Application and Selection Process
- We invite only serious students and emerging jazz artists (young, old, and in-between) who want to expand their approach to music making and creating. Enrollment is limited to a total of 40 participants.
- Prospective participants must complete and submit the application (request form and copies of songs at email@example.com) and submit it with their fee (check payable to “Madison Music Collective”) to workshop coordinator Laurie Lang by day’s end Friday, June 7, 2013.
- Musicians may apply as a solo musician, or in duos or trios.
- Applications may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to 3014 Dianne Drive, Middleton, WI53562. Either way, applications must be received by day’s end Friday, June 7, 2013.
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Wednesday, June 12, 2013, and those who are not accepted will have their application fee refunded.
For more workshop information: Contact Laurie Lang, (608) 833-2200, email@example.com