IMW (Improvisational Music Workshop) will meet twice a month on Fridays from 6-8pm at the Washington Hotel Coffee Room located on Lakeside Street in Madison.
- All people, all ages are invited to attend, observe, cheer us on, eat the good fresh food and drink.
- Experienced improvisational musicians are encouraged to come with instruments and be prepared to join in to the music making.
- Each week will have a different emphasis and it will be published here with some detail. Microphones, a PA and a nice new Kawai piano (from Farleys) will be provided.
May 14th Friday, 6-8pm – We’ll kick off the first IMW session with an exploration called “Change the Feel.” All songs will be played with either a varied meter, experimenting with the “feel” or messing with some kind of polyrhythmic/hemiola ideas in soloing and comping.
In the coming weeks:
May 28th Friday, 6-8pm – Single Line Groove and Song Building
June 11th Friday, 6-8pm – Space – Minimalistic approach
June 25th Friday, 6-8pm – Original Music only!
What IMW IS and What it is NOT
- A house band will kick off the session with several songs, then others will be invited to join the music making.
- This is NOT a jam session but a musical workshop.
- IMW will encourage playing music together, listening and responding to what is happening.
- This workshop is NOT a gig.
- IMW is a safe space for good music to begin and evolve
- It is a place to nurture musical relationships in the community.
Future ideas for each weeks focus: (please add your ideas in the comments)
- Music of Alec Wilder
- Music of Mary Lou Williams – any compositions or standards recorded by Mary Lou Williams
- Single line Improv. – Create patterns, grooves and explore improvisation (without any chordal comping from keys or guitars)
- Playing with Dynamics – each song must have at least 4 dramatic dynamic changes
- Original music only – bring charts and be ready to play and lead your composition
- Love songs – creative arrangements of well-known love songs, come with clear charts for others to join in
- Big Band Chart reading and improv. – we’ll mix it up and all instruments and vocals are welcome to read a part you would normally not play